Wednesday, January 7, 2009

dilemma

I learned about the infamous Kindle today and I didn't immediately roll my eyes at it, which is very rare for me. I'm usually the last one on the band wagon of the latest and greatest electronic devices. And, I know I'm late on this one too, but I must admit that I actually (somewhat) like it. Both for environmental reasons and because it's just cool.
Having access to so many books and resources at your fingertips is quite tempting. More importantly, think of all the trees that are saved by not buying printed books.

HOWEVER, what would life be like without stacks of books lying around or full book shelves? What would reading be like holding a cold gadget in your hands instead of worn covers and torn pages? What would Friday nights be like without a cozy bookstore to wander around? What would memories be made of without the smell of old books? What would a generation of kids be like without paperback books and kitten bookmarks?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I keep going back and forth on this one too. There is nothing better than turning the pages of a favorite book. But I can see times (like school, for instance) when it would be nice to have all the information you need in a single place. I don't think I could ever use it for recreational reading though. :)