Monday, April 13, 2009

a month of books

Over the past month, I've received some really wonderful books, which I've added to my ever-growing stack of must-reads on & under my nightstand.
The only problem lies in where to begin...
Any recommendations?

Birthday gifts from Mamaw (quite possibly the best selector of books ever):
Plath - Everyman's Library Pocket Poets
Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier
Selected Poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay
Harvest Poems by Carl Sandburg
The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean
The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith (I loved The Kalahari Typing School for Men)

From my dad & step mum for my birthday (in preparation for Paris):
Immoveable Feast: A Paris Christmas by John Baxter
Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik
Rick Steves' Paris (a must-have for our trip)
Writers in Paris by David Burke
Sandrine's Paris by Sandrine Voillet

A gift from Venner, a fellow lover of books:
The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (simply charming)

Finds at the Fayetteville Public Library used bookstore & gifts from Mamaw:
Random House English-French Dictionary
When the Emperor was Divine by Julie Otsuka
Three Junes by Julia Glass
Leaving Cold Sassy by Olive Ann Burns
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (from Mamaw's collection)
Selected Poems by Robert Frost (a surprise gift from Mamaw's collection)

Missy Foo has already read them all, but she won't tell me which are her favorites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missy is just to smart for me!

LOL! so cute!

ambika said...

Oh, I could never bring myself to read Leaving Cold Sassy because I loved Cold Sassy Tree so much. You'll have to give a review!