Tuesday, May 19, 2009

2 days in the desert

I took a commuter flight to Phoenix for work today and spent the afternoon in the burning sun. Good god was it hot. Besides the 100 degree plus temperatures (in May, really?) there was also something special there in the desert, a beautiful rawness of sorts. I'm going back tomorrow to soak up more of the desert sun, I only regret not having enough time to visit with my dear friend, Somlynn of The UE while I'm there.

In honor of the sun and my most unusual work week, some desert inspiration....

Arizona Desert by Aj+

In the Desert
by Stephen Crane

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter - bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

3 comments:

theue said...

you are here and we cannot connect. this cannot be for real! it should be a little cooler today.

enjoy the desert...enjoy the monsoon clouds.

s.i. michaels said...

My only expereince with desert like that was Burning Man--which is pretty far from it's natural state. My goal is to road trip through this area--some day, I hope, soon.

Krissa said...

HAHA!!! It sure is hot! But it is beautiful. The sunsets are amazing...at least the next couple days are going to be cloudy...and possible rain. The smell of AZ rain is the absolute best!