Sunday, May 31, 2009

i heart agnes

My step mum and I went to the Illumination exhibit at the Orange County Museum of Art this weekend & it was wonderful. The collection brought together the works of four important American women modernists; Georgia O'Keeffe, Agnes Pelton, Agnes Martin, and Florence Miller Pierce.
Of these four, I was only familiar with O'Keeffe's work going into it, but left with a greater appreciation of O'Keeffe and an introduction to three other extraordinary artists who led extraordinary lives.
My favorite (and new love) being Agnes Martin...

"I would like my work to be recognized as being in the classical tradition (Coptic, Egyptian, Greek, Chinese), as representing the Ideal in the mind. Classical art cannot possibly be eclectic. One must see the ideal in one's own mind. It is like a memory, an awareness, of perfection." - Agnes Martin


No comments: