Sunday, September 14, 2008

Soapbox...byob!!

After returning from yet another trip to the grocery store where I found myself giving dirty looks to those people still using plastic grocery bags, I have come to the conclusion that yes, I have become a reusable bag snob.
If you happen to still be a disposable bag user (gasp!), I've listed a few pointers and resources below to help make the change.
As previously posted here, I have added a few new sources and ideas to the list.
Take it from me, my hubby and I live a disposable bag-free life and it really isn't very hard.
Here's how....
#1 - Groceries
  • Buy reusable bags - Most, if not all, groceries stores offer reusable bags at very cheap prices (usually $1 each) and some even give credits for using these bags every time you shop. There are also plenty of resources for reusable bags and baskets online, which allows you to find products that best fit your needs.
  • Make sure you have enough bags for the amount of groceries you buy - Figure out the average number of bags you usually use when shopping and buy 2-3 more to have on hand in case you have an extra large load.
  • Keep them in the trunk of your car - The most common excuse I hear for not using reusable bags is that it is hard to remember them every time you shop. To prevent this problem at my house, my husband and I each keep 4-5 bags in the trunks of our cars at all times. This way, anytime we run to the store or stop on the way home from work, we have bags there to use, in both cars. The key to this is to make sure you put your bags back in the trunk of your car once you use them to carry your groceries into the house.
  • Wine drinkers - Most stores also offer reusable wine carriers. These are essential to have if you buy a lot of wine so you can avoid using a cardboard box to carry your booze in.
#2 - Errands and Shopping
  • Carry reusable bags with you at all times - I have two disposable bags that permanently live in my purse, which I use for all of my other errands/shopping (drugstore, pet store, bookstore, shopping at the mall, shopping at the flea market, etc). Compact reusable bag resources:
- Chico Bags: My favorite! These bags are so cool because they fold right up into themselves. They are nice and sturdy and hold the same amount as a plastic bag would.
- Envirosax: These bags are similar to the Chico Bag and and come in a variety of great prints and colors.
- ACME: Also similar to the Chico Bag and Envirosax, and they also have a black mesh bag that is good for groceries.
  • Keep a few larger reusable bags in your car - For shopping trips that require larger bags, such as shopping sprees to the mall or trips to your nearest toy store to buy Christmas gifts for all of your nieces and nephews, find a few larger bags that you can keep in your car for these occasions. Larger reusable bag resources:
- Bazura Bags - Made of recycled juice containers, each bag is unique and supports a women's co-op in the Philippines. These bags are so cute and are made to hold a large amount of goodies.
- Cute totes - Many retail stores carry adorable canvas and fabric totes that are perfect for longer shopping trips, here and here. My bestie bought me a larger reusable bag for my b-day, which I use all the time and keep in the trunk of my car.

#3 - Takeout
Both the reusable grocery bags and compact shopping bags are perfect to use when getting takeout. Sure, they may look at you weird when you bring your own bag to the takeout counter (it's happened to me many times), but you'll feel good walking out of your favorite restaurant with your reusable bag in hand instead of a nasty plastic one.

#4 - When in doubt, go bagless
Not all purchases require a bag. When you find yourself caught without a resuable bag to use, try going bagless. That stack of books you're buying from the bookstore isn't that difficult to carry in your arms out to the car. Or, the carton of milk and loaf of bread you picked-up on the way home from work. Why not just carry them out to the car without a bag if you forgot your reusable bag at home?

Do your part & B.Y.O.B. (Bring Your Own Bag)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on, sister! I absolutely love my Chico bag...it goes with me EVERYWHERE! With all the reusable Traders/Mothers bags I have collected, it really has been such an easy transition to make.

Julie @ Belle Maison said...

girl! you are soooo right! Ryan has actually been on my case to get reusable bags and i have no excuse except laziness! i feel so guilty when i use disposable bags -i certainly don't want to become one of "those" people you look down on! great tips and resources. i'll be stocking up on them ASAP :)

Anonymous said...

I saw your post in my reader about the styrofoam and recycling and wanted to commiserate but it's gone now! It's always strange to me when I travel around the states to end up in places where recycling is still not practiced. Its been such a given for so long in the northwest that it's strange to find that's not the case elsewhere. The company I work for now *composts* for pete's sake!