Thursday, January 31, 2008

organic betrayal

My whole world was turned upside down last weekend when I discovered that the "organic" farm I frequent regularly for all of my fruits & veggies had deceived me. The fruits & veggies sold there are not all organic! In fact, only about 20% of the stock is actually certified organic. I couldn't believe it! There is an 8 ft. "Certified Organic" banner in the front and the same advertisements on the inside of the stand, but I discovered that one must read the tiny hand-written cardboard signs above each item to find the real organics. They do grow their own organic crop, but it appears that they fill the rest of the bins with regular, pesticide-infested goods. Every weekend I make a special trip with my reusable bags in tow to buy all of my produce fresh from a local organic farm. What could be better than that? There was something so wholesome & authentic about the process; the inconvenience of it all, the dirt & gravel parking lot, no lines, a small produce stand in the middle of a monotonous Orange County suburb. Alas, my paradise is in fact too good to be true.
image credit: Thailand for Visitors

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it!! I never would have guessed that stand carried anything but organic produce! Thanks for blowing the whistle...now I know to be extra cautious!

Anonymous said...

unfortunately this is pretty rampant across all industries. but rest assured it's against the law to use the term organic and soon enough they will be caught.

me knows this random stuff well!

xoxo