Wednesday, October 29, 2008

feeding the soul

White Hearts on a String by Gary Isaac

My soul is extremely hungry and I'm searching for food to satisfy my appetite. Poetry, literature, music, art....I'm eating up everything I can get my hands on and wanting more.

In my search, I found Gary Isaac's photographs (above) and fell in love. Not only are the photographs mesmerizing, but he has these amazing write-ups for all of his photos. Two birds with one stone (I really hate that saying).

What I am craving most is poetry. Lots and lots of poetry. I read everything on my bookshelves, but it wasn't enough. I need your help, my dear readers. Who are your favorite poets and poems? Any recommendations? My poetry knowledge is far from vast, so anything you suggest will be very much appreciated.
Please, help satiate my soul.

xo.

5 comments:

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

Tilt by Jean Sprackland is one of my favorites.
Hope you find something to feed the appetite :)

Anonymous said...

I know almost no contemporary poetry so I wish I could recommend something beyond the usual faves (Edna St. Vincent Millay & T.S. Eliot, of course.)

Lovely image.

Alice Pettway said...

Try Philip Appleman. New discovery of mine, well worth a read!

Mommy to R and A said...

Can't resist Sully Prudhomme.

Also enjoy W.B. Yeats, Wallace Stevens, Khalil Gibran (Friendship is a fave) & Hafez (obviously Mar turned me on to this one).

Hope you enjoy them & Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

when the francophile mood hits...jean rhys. it's more short story fiction than poetry.

as for newer poets? it's been awhile since i've been windswept as well. i've been digging hard too.