Monday, October 13, 2008

love letter

photo by spurmarks

Friday Morning, Jan 17, 1896

My Very Dear Eugenia,

I think it is best that I do not come to see you next Sunday, day after tomorrow. There are no new cases of measles yet, but there may be some danger of my taking it yet. My arm is getting sore rapidly from vaccination and is likely to be pretty sore by Sunday, if it continues. By Sunday week, Jan 26, everything will be quiet here and then I am coming to see you if that will suit you. Be sure to tell me if it suits for me to come then. I am so anxious to see you I can hardly bear to think of waiting that long.

Ever yours,
Willie

- Written by my great-great-grandfather to my great-great-grandmother. Transcribed by my cousin, Alice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last sentence is *so* sweet.

Alice Pettway said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're reading these letters! Everyone thinks it was such a chore to transcribe them, but it was actually a joy. What a window into the past.

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

how very real! what a treasure :)