Monday, March 3, 2008

travel journal - arkansas

Big Blue (my bag) and I took the shuttle to LAX. I checked her constantly to make sure I didn't forget anything (boarding pass, i.d., lip gloss, book...). My iPod was playing on shuffle and the driver's voice was humming in the background, but I didn't care enough about what he was saying to turn down the music.

On my way to Arkansas to visit my Mamaw (said with a southern drawl).

Reading in bed at Mamaw's. Peace.

Riding the Butterfield (retirement community) bus to the University of Arkansas basketball game.
We arrived in the Butterfield lobby early to join the other Razorback-red adorned residents eagerly awaiting a ride to the game. The bus pulled up, we settled into our seats, and roll was called, along with the hogs (every passenger participated).
WOOOOOOO
(arms in the air, hands shaking)
PIG SOOEY!
(make fist, bend arm & then straighten)
Repeat 2 more times
RAZORBACKS!
(make fist, bend arm & then straighten)
The Razorbacks won against Vanderbilt in an intensely close game. A big win for the hogs!
We hitched a ride home with my uncle instead of hopping on the Butterfield bus again.
I'm sure we missed a very rowdy ride home.
Our morning fuel:
cheerios w/ bananas & soy milk, clementines, apples, and cranberry walnut bread
To replace a childhood breakfast of fruit loops & texas toast.
The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the atmosphere was peaceful. Nice, quiet breakfasts full of good conversation, just the two of us.

The taste of our famous spaghetti, the smell of the fresh, crisp Arkansas air, the sound of the wind through the tree branches, and the feeding of my soul.
Thank you Mamaw!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect trip to me!

Blue Floppy Hat said...

I'm due to board a flight the day after tomorrow that won't be half as satisfying at the end as yours..