Thursday, May 29, 2008

high on books

Unsure of what to read next after my Kite Runner high, I skimmed the book shelves and chose Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri.
So far, I am loving it!
I really enjoyed The Namesake, so I had high hopes that Unaccustomed Earth would not disappoint. I'm only 100 pages in, but so far it is wonderful.

This Nathaniel Hawthorne quote starts off the novel perfectly....

Human nature will not flourish,
any more than a potato, if it be planted and replanted,
for too long a series of generations, in the same worn-out soil.
My children have had other birthplaces, and, so far as their fortunes may be within my control, shall strike their roots into unaccustomed earth.
-
Nathaniel Hawthorne, "The Custom-House"

1 comment:

Secretista said...

I'll have to check it outt!