Friday, May 2, 2008

i heart art....jeannie

This week's I Heart Art comes from my lovely friend, Jeannie!
Jeannie's approach to I Heart Art was unique in that she looked to her own treasured collection to tell her tale of inspiration and love for art...

Surprisingly, this was very difficult for me. I love art and have lots of pieces that I want to share. But, I kept thinking it should be from notable artists, like Warhol, Lichtenstein, Peter Maxx (all artists I love, by the way, and all of which I own in layman, not collector, form). But there are too many in that category and most of them people would be familiar with. So, I walked around my house trying to choose just a few pieces. This was an excellent exercise in appreciating what you have. I actually have too many things to share with you, that I simply love. I would say, though, that I am more of a craft collector than an art collector. By that I mean, I tend towards objects more than paintings or photographs. Perhaps, it's a budgetary thing as much as anything. I have spent many a weekend at an art show, but can generally only afford something small, and usually can not bare to leave empty handed. I'm not sure I am playing this game right, but here goes...

The first is a serigraph by Leo Posillico called "Artists Have All the Fun". It depicts the janitors of a gallery, cleaning up the footprints of the artists. This was a wedding gift from my parents and my first foray into art "collecting". It feels whimsical and fun.

The next few are dog art (and I have more). The first is a bronze by Jim Budish of Colorado. We found him at the Affaire in the Gardens Art Show held in Beverly Hills in May and October each year. I believe her name is Chloe and she exudes GREAT JOY!

Next, another bronze from the Sherwood Gallery in Laguna, by artist Roberta Laidman. What dog doesn't want its belly scratched? Her name is Little Cookies.

My own beloved Boomer, commissioned by Shari Vogt. She was at the Laguna Sawdust Festival. She captured Boomer perfectly and no matter what direction you head, Boomer is always looking at you with those sad, expecting eyes.

The final silly dog is "Perro de Huesos" or Dog of Bones, made from paper mache and found at the Santa Ana Santora Building's First Saturday art opening. Proof that you can find art in lots of shapes, sizes, venues, and at any price. I think it cost less than $20 and I just love it!

The last work is by William DeBilzan. My husband and I call it one too many martini's at 230 Forest. I pined for this for a long while, before making the big purchase. I like all of his work, much of which portrays couples in love. This one is called "Becoming" and I love the use of mixed media, reclaimed wood, and the elongated shapes and bold colors.
- Jeannie

This was so fun & interesting! I really enjoyed getting to see part of your collection and read the stories behind each one. Thanks Jeannie!

Please participate in I Heart Art! Here's how.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post Jeannie! I love your collection...especially Boomer! What a face!!!

Julie @ Belle Maison said...

I love Jeannie's take on this little project! She really has an amazing home - you should invite yourself over sometime...it's like a small museum full of interesting things to look at. Very inspiring :)