Friday, May 16, 2008

i heart art....mary!

Welcome to this week's I Heart Art by Mary!
Mary's choice is particularly sweet because she has chosen her photographer husband (and my brother), Scott Vickers, as her favorite artist - aw!
Take it away Mary....

So, this may be an obvious choice, but an artist I would love to share is Scott Vickers!
His photographs really capture what I think many of us take for granted everyday - the environment around us. In a day and age where many of us are so consumed with the daily grind, it is difficult to take a step back and enjoy what is around us. Often times when I am busy at work, I find that visiting his website of photos helps me to relax and hone back in on what really is important.

Sand Dollar Sunrise
I love the colors in this photograph. If you ever get the opportunity to drive along California's coast, Big Sur is the best way to go! We were on our way to my friend's wedding at Limekiln State Park and were just in awe of the wonderful cliffs. This particular beach is captured so eloquently, where you can see the mist of the splashing waves in the back and the color of the sky resonates onto the sand. This photograph almost looks like a painting and I believe he captured this sunset beautifully from the ground up.

Yellow Wildflowers at Joshua Tree
This photograph resembles a background choice from Microsoft Windows! I love these wildflowers! It makes you want to run through them like Laura Ingalls from "Little House on the Prairie"! The wildflowers are the main focus here, but you can't help but notice the gorgeous sky. I asked him if he adjusted the color of the sky, as many photographers do alter their shots, but he stated that no photo-shopping was necessary. The angle of the shot is what I am most impressed with. Taking the shot from the view of a small individual yet you can see the flowers just unending.

Empty Highway Running Through the Desert
What I love about this particular photograph is the angle. You can see the tiny pebbles in the roadway as it cuts through the desert. Often times driving through the desert I tend to sleep or just allow much of the landscape to pass me by. I think this angle is great how it is just huge where you stand, and as it gets further away the less room there is to see what is ahead. The "road less traveled" metaphor comes to mind as I gaze into this photograph. It seems unending and yet you cannot tell how long the road continues on for. It gives you the sense of being right there, standing on the roadway - great shot!
- Mary

Thank you Mary!

To participate in I Heart Art, click here!

No comments: