Friday, May 23, 2008

i heart art.....susan

This week's I Heart Art is by Susan.....and it has to do with me!
In 2001, I painted a rhino with watercolor to give to my dad & step mum for Christmas. My dad is a veterinarian and they are both animal/wildlife lovers, advocates, and conservationists, an influence that has become a part of who I am. I wanted to paint something that would illustrate our shared passion for these things, so I chose to paint them a rhino. I am not a realistic painter and see things more abstractly, hence using shapes and bright colors to make up the composition. I wanted to capture the mystical essence of the rhino, his strength, and his kindness. Not sure I accomplished these things, but that was the goal anyway.

Susan, my step mum, has chosen The Rhino as one of her I Heart Arts!
I'm touched and flattered....

This cheerful rhinoceros greets me every morning as he frolics on green meadow-pillows in the blazing hot sun. I love the geometry of his tough lattice hide, softened with Crayon colors. Gorgeous, by the artist formerly known as "DV", now known far and wide as the Seamstress of Thought. - Susan

Merci Beaucoup!

To participate in I Heart Art, click here!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! You are truly a woman of many talents! I love the unique way you see and paint the world around you.

Julie @ Belle Maison said...

Beautiful work of art Dianna! I love the colors you chose and the abstract style of the painting. You are one talented lady :) And yes, I think you captured all the things you set out to portray about the strong and kind rhino!

Secretista said...

Is there anything you can't do?!

Dianna said...

aw, thanks ladies!! it's been so long since i painted something. i'm thinking my period "in between" jobs will be a good time to start back up. thanks for the encouragement!